STEP 1: Install the Bark for Kids app on your child’s Android device
Tap the button below to download the Bark for Kids app.
Note: You may need to hold your finger on the blue button below and from the menu that appears, select Download Link
- If prompted, allow the Storage permission for your default browser in order to save this app to your Android device, as seen below:
- Once the download completes, open the file
- Note: if you don't see an option to Open the bark-for-kids.apk file after the download completes, you can find it in the device's Downloads app or the Downloads folder in the File Manager app)
- Tap on the Bark-for-Kids.apk file
STEP 2: Tap Settings to Enable "Install Unknown Apps or Sources"
After opening or attempting to install the file, a security prompt will likely appear, warning you about installing apps from "unknown sources."
(What are apps from unknown sources?)
- Tap Settings on the prompt below:
- Toggle on Downloads from Unknown Sources (or something similar that contains "Unknown Sources"), as indicated below:
This is an example of the Unknown Sources option under Android Settings. If you're having trouble finding the setting on your child's device, we recommend just searching for "unknown" in your child's Android Settings app and look for "Install unknown apps," as seen below:
Have Family Link as well?
See here to also enable Apps from Unknown Sources from your parent Family Link app!
- Then, select the back navigation button to continue with the installation of the Bark for Kids app
- Open the Bark-for-Kids.apk file again, and now you should be able to tap Install
You have now installed the Bark for Kids app! For future updates, you will have to follow this process for getting the Bark for Kids app updated.
STEP 3: Open the Bark for Kids app
Look for the Bark for Kids app on the device's home screen or App Drawer with this icon:
STEP 4: Sign in with your parent credentials
STEP 5: Follow the on-screen instructions to allow permissions
You will see several screens where you are allowing Bark the permission to monitor your child's device, as seen below:
- Select the child's name that uses this Android device or select Add Another Child to add a new child to your Bark account
- Select Connect on the first prompt
- Tap Allow on the following few prompts
- Check "Do not show again" on the following prompts and tap Start
STEP 6: Select "Open Settings" when prompted
STEP 7: Tap Bark in the Accessibility settings Services section
STEP 8: Within the Bark menu that appears, toggle the switch for Bark to On
STEP 9: Press "OK" on the following prompt
STEP 10: To test monitoring or adjust settings, including whether Bark uses Wi-Fi or cellular data to monitor your child's Android device, please open the Bark for Kids app and click the settings icon (see images below):
STEP 11: Breathe!
You've done it! You will now be alerted about worrisome content like Cyberbullying, Sexual Content, Suicidal Ideation, and more on your child's texts, deleted texts, web browsing, and saved photos/videos.
On your Bark parent dashboard, you will now see the Android connection under your child's name. Here is an example:
The app will also automatically monitor Snapchat direct messages (text), Instagram direct messages (text), Youtube views, Whatsapp chats, Kik chats, Musically chats, and Houseparty notes.
You may also utilize the Check-In feature now that you've installed the Bark for Kids app on your child's Android.
How do I get notified of future updates to the Bark for Kids app?
If there is an update available to the app, you will see the Android connection will have an "update available" button on your Bark parent dashboard, as seen below:
Do I need to go through all of those steps every time there is an update?
You will simply have to download new app updates by navigating to bark.us/android on your child's device!
After you install the update, open the Bark for Kids app and check to see if you have to sign in with your parent credentials again, just in case.
If you see the screen below, you're all set!
We're happy to confirm if you are up to date to the latest Bark for Kids app version as well if you're unsure. Just reach out to us!
Need additional assistance?
If you're having any issues with setting up your child's Android devices, please don't hesitate to reach out to us!