Compatible with any iOS 9+ device. Please ensure iTunes, your computer, and your child's iOS devices have up-to-date software.
The Bark Desktop app will then upload the backups containing iOS device texts, deleted texts, web browsing, and camera roll to our servers for analysis. This process requires changes to iTunes.
I. Install the Bark Desktop application on your computer:
- Download the Bark Desktop app (Windows / Mac)
- Install and follow the on-screen instructions to setup
II. Install and configure iTunes for monitoring:
- Plug in the iOS device to the computer.
- Open iTunes on the computer if it doesn't open automatically.
- Select the device at the top if iTunes doesn't automatically open to the Device Summary.
4. Under the Backups section of the Device Summary, choose This computer to backup the device to the local computer. Ensure the Encrypt local backup checkbox is left unchecked.
NOTE: the language may change depending on the device. e.g. "Encrypt iPhone backup"
Accidentally enabled encryption?
5. Under the Options section, check Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi. Sometimes WiFi backups do not work. We always recommend plugging the phone in to the host computer for regular backups with the iTunes method. For regular WiFi backups, check out the iMazing method.
6. Click the Apply button in the bottom right to save the settings.
7. Click the Back Up Now button from the Backups section to create a backup of the connected iOS device (this may take a few minutes to complete...please wait until it finishes before moving on)
8. Click Done
Important: You must backup the iOS device regularly in order for Bark to receive updated information to monitor. While you can backup via WiFi by opening the device summary page in iTunes and clicking the Back Up Now button (as shown above), we always recommend plugging in the phone to the host computer for regular backups using the iTunes method.
Important: The first backup may take as long as a couple hours. Please ensure that your computer DOES NOT go to sleep or lose internet connection during this time or the subsequent upload to Bark. You may need to temporarily disable sleep mode for this initial backup. You may also need to enable Airplane Mode on the iOS device. All subsequent backups should only take a minute or so.
III. Configure the Bark Desktop app:
Once the device has been backed up using the above settings, the desktop application should detect the backup, allowing you to associate the device to a child in your Bark account:
If you notice your child's phone has not been backed up in a while, or you have received a "missing backup" notification from Bark, you can manually back up their iOS device by doing the following:
- Plug in your child's iOS device to the computer
- Open iTunes
- Navigate to the Device Summary page for your child's iOS device
- Click 'Back Up Now'
IMPORTANT: If you see the following "not enough free space" error message when backing up to iTunes, please do the following:
- Quit the Bark desktop application (click the dog icon near the time/date on your computer and select Exit or Quit Bark).
- In iTunes, please perform a new backup and wait until it completes.
- Re-launch the Bark Desktop app and allow the backup to upload to Bark, as indicated by a cloud symbol next to the child's name. A green check mark will replace the cloud icon when finished.
Not tech-savvy or run into a weird error and need help?
No worries! Bark Support is committed to helping every step of the way.