By enabling the Parent Portal a district takes the crucial step of involving parents in the mission of keeping students safe on school technology, especially after hours and weekends.
Below is what the parent or guardian's journey will look like as they enable their Parent Portal.
STEP 1: Once the Parent Portal is enabled either through Powerschool, Clever, or the .CSV upload, this email will be sent to the parents to invite them to enroll:
STEP 2: When the parent clicks the link Sign Up Now they are taken to a page to create a password for their free Parent Portal account:
STEP 3: The parent and student email accounts are connected automatically once the parent clicks the link to Create Account.
NOTE: If a parent with multiple children receives separate activation emails for each child, they do not need to create separate Parent Portal accounts. Once they've created an account with the first student/child, they can add their other children into that same account by selecting Add Child. For more information, they can reach out to us!
STEP 4: Now the parent will be able to access the dashboard for their child's student accounts. In the dashboard, they have the option to connect other student accounts if they have multiple children, and review account activity:
Navigating their Bark parent account:
Families can click on the top right drop-down arrow to manage their account. Below is a description of each option in the menu that appears.
There are several options for a parent to filter, connect, control alert intensity, add text alerts, and see check-in history:
- Review Issues: The parent can use the same type of filtering functions and is provided the same information on an issue as a school with one key exception: identifying information for all other students is scrubbed.
- Connect Child's Accounts: The parent can choose to add devices and/or social media accounts for monitoring in addition to the school-issued account. Parents that do this will be discounted 20% because they came from our district partner.
Add Child: A parent can add another child that may or may be in the in same school or district with Parent Portal.
If it's an additional student they'd like to add, they will need to scroll down to "Have school account login?" to connect those additional students/children (student credentials required).
- Check-ins: When monitoring a device, the Bark for Kids app on Android gives the option for a child to check in with the parent and provide their GPS location. This option provides the history of those check-ins.
- Protect School Accounts: This option is already enabled from Parent Portal but if a parent wanted to add another child for monitoring in or out of the original district, they can do that here (student credentials required).
- Alert Settings: Parents can enable alerts via text message and add other family-members to receive alerts here. There are several sliders to allow adjustment to alert severity as it relates to profanity, risky app use, weapons, and more.
- Account: They can change their parent name and update their email address here.
- Support: Here they can contact our technical support team. Our team is available to help parents set up and work through the challenges of protecting children in today's technological climate.
- Refer a Friend: Parents can share a link with friends to try Bark If parents get enrollments this way, Bark will give that parent a $50 Amazon gift card.
Need additional help?
We have an incredible team behind the scenes here at Bark. For technical questions, we can be reached here. Our team is happy to help!