This article discusses troubleshooting solutions for issues encountered while adding a social media, email, or online storage account to Bark for monitoring.
Examples of the accounts covered in this article are:
Gmail, Google Drive, Youtube, iCloud email, Yahoo email, Instagram, Pinterest, Spotify, and Facebook.
For troubleshooting solutions regarding Android devices, see here instead.
For troubleshooting solutions regarding iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, see here instead.
1. How do I connect an account for monitoring?
Check out our connection instructions here.
2. How do I delete an account from monitoring? / How do I remove accounts that say "finish connecting" from my dashboard?
Check out our removal instructions here.
3. How do I skip the prompt to finish connecting an account I selected? I do not have the login credentials at this time, or I added the account in error.
You can select I'll do this later for each account you do not have the login credentials for at this time:
4. Why does my dashboard indicate one of my child's accounts has been "Unauthorized"?
Your child may have changed their password or security information. For security reasons, social media platforms will reset third-party access, which includes Bark.
Luckily, it's an easy fix by re-connecting your child's account to Bark with their updated login credentials.
5. How do I change my child's connected Instagram account to another account?
You don't have to change the already connected Instagram account — you can monitor an unlimited number of social accounts!
To connect an additional Instagram account for monitoring, simply follow the same steps to connect it to Bark with your child's login credentials for the second account.
6. My child's device is an iPhone but the setup keeps telling me it will set the social media app up on an Android.
When attempting to connect a social account, and you see the page in the screenshot below, it means that the social media account you are trying to connect is monitored only through Android devices that have installed the Bark for Kids app.
Hopefully we can take away some of the burden by monitoring your child's iPhone or iPad texts, other social media, and email!
For a list of the social media we monitor on iPhone vs. Android, see here.
7. When I input my child's iCloud email login credentials into Bark, it says the password is wrong. When I go to the iCloud website itself, I can log in no problem.
Bark is able to monitor emails sent and received (including attachments) on connected email accounts like iCloud.
Apple requires the use of app-specific passwords when connecting Apple email accounts to third parties like Bark.
For instructions on connecting your child's iCloud email to Bark with an app-specific password, check out our guide here.
The emails connected with this method end in @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com. This means that if your child's iCloud account ends in @gmail.com, for example, then you will connect the email to Bark via the Gmail email connection rather than the iCloud email connection. For a list of the email platforms we monitor, see here.
NOTE: Connecting the iCloud email to Bark only monitors emails sent and received — not iPhone text messages. To monitor iPhone texts and more, see here!
8. I am getting an error message when trying to add my child's Gmail, Google Drive, or Youtube account.
Bark is able to monitor Gmail, Google Drive, and Youtube with your child's Google account credentials.
When connecting a Gmail, Google Drive, or Youtube account to Bark, you may have seen an error message like this:
When it comes to monitoring Google accounts created for those under 13 years old, for some reason, Google can restrict any third-party connection, which includes Bark. You can see what birthday you've set for your child's Google account, inside of the Google account settings.
9. When I input my child's Yahoo email login credentials into Bark, it says the password is wrong. When I go to the Yahoo website itself, I can log in no problem.
Bark is able to monitor emails sent and received (including attachments) on connected email accounts like Yahoo.
When attempting to connect your child's Yahoo email account to Bark for monitoring, you may have come across the message below:
This is because of Yahoo's security policies, but we'll make sure you're able to monitor your child's Yahoo account! For instructions on connecting your child's Yahoo email to Bark for monitoring, check out our guide here.
- What Bark Monitors on Different Platforms
- Connecting social media, email, and devices for the first time
- Troubleshooting iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touch Monitoring
- Troubleshooting Android Device Monitoring
Got stuck and or just need help?
Bark Support has your back! Please do not hesitate to reach out to us.