Watch this video to learn how to monitor an Android device. If you'd like some additional tips — or if the video doesn't play — follow the step-by-step instructions written below.
STEP 1: Install the Bark for Kids app on your child’s Android device.
- On your child's Android device, visit www.bark.us/android.
- Tap on Download to download Bark for Kids!
Viewing this article on your child's Android device?
Then, tap the button below to download the Bark for Kids app.
NOTE: You may need to hold your finger down on it. When the menu appears, select "Download Link."
- If prompted, allow the Storage Permission for your default browser in order to save this app to your Android device, as seen below:
- Once the download completes, open the file.
- Note: If you don't see an option to open the "bark-for-kids.apk" file after the download completes, you can find it in the device's Downloads app or the Downloads folder in the File Manager app.
- Tap on the bark-for-kids.apk file.
STEP 2: Tap "Settings" to Enable "Install Unknown Apps or Sources."
After opening or attempting to install the file, a security prompt will likely appear, warning you about installing apps from "unknown sources." Bark is not an unknown source, so don't worry. (What are apps from unknown sources?)
- Tap Settings on the prompt below:
- Toggle on Downloads from Unknown Sources (or something similar that contains "Unknown Sources"), as indicated below:
- Have Family Link as well? Click here to enable Apps from Unknown Sources from your parent Family Link app.
NOTE: The following is an example of the Unknown Sources option under Android Settings. If you're having trouble finding the setting on your child's device, we recommend just searching for "unknown" in your child's Android Settings app and look for "Install unknown apps," as seen below:
- Then, select the back navigation button to continue with the installation of the Bark for Kids app.
- Open the bark-for-Kids.apk file again, and now you should be able to tap Install.
You have now installed the Bark for Kids app! For future updates, you will have to follow this process for getting the Bark for Kids app updated.
STEP 3: Open the Bark for Kids app.
Look for the Bark for Kids app on the device's home screen or App Drawer with this icon:
STEP 4: Sign in with your parent credentials.
STEP 5: Follow the on-screen instructions to allow permissions.
You will see several screens that will ask for permission to monitor your child's device.
- Select the child's name that uses this Android device or select Add Another Child to add a new child to your Bark account.
- Select Connect on the first prompt.
- Tap Allow on the following few prompts.
- Check Do not show again on the following prompts and tap Start now.
STEP 6: Select "Open Settings" when prompted.
STEP 7: Tap "Bark" in the Accessibility settings Services section.
STEP 8: Within the Bark menu that appears, toggle the switch for Bark to "On."
STEP 9: Press "OK" on the following prompt.
STEP 10: Fine-tuning
To test the monitoring or to adjust settings, including whether Bark is using Wi-Fi or cellular data, open the Bark for Kids app and tap the settings icon (see images below):
Descriptions of settings:
- Upload over Wi-Fi only: If your child's Android device needs to conserve cellular data use, then you may consider turning on the setting of "Upload over Wi-Fi only." Otherwise, leave disabled.
- Test monitoring: If you want to make sure the Android device monitoring is set up properly, tap on "Test monitoring." A message will then pop up letting you know if it looks good!
NOTE: Do NOT logout of the Bark for Kids app, or monitoring will be impacted
STEP 11: Breathe!
You're done! You may begin receiving alerts for potential issues like cyberbullying, sexual content, suicidal ideation, and more on your child's texts, deleted texts, web browsing, and saved photos/videos.
From your Bark parent dashboard, you will now see the Android connection under your child's name. Here is an example:
The app will also automatically monitor Snapchat direct messages (text), Instagram direct messages (text), Youtube views, Whatsapp chats, Kik chats, TikTok chats, and Houseparty notes.
You may also utilize the Check-In feature now that you've installed the Bark for Kids app on your child's Android.
How do I get notified of future updates to the Bark for Kids app?
If there is an update available for Bark, you'll see an "Update Available" notification on your Bark parent dashboard.
Do I need to go through all of those steps every time there is an update?
You will simply have to download new app updates by navigating to bark.us/android on your child's device. After you install the update, open the Bark for Kids app and check to see if you have to sign in with your parent credentials again, just in case.
If you see the screen below, you're all set!
You can also follow step-by-step directions for updating the app with the button below:
We're also happy to confirm if you are up to date on the latest Bark for Kids app version in the event you're unsure. Just reach out to us!
Need additional assistance?
If you're having any issues with setting up your child's Android devices, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.